Saturday, November 14, 2020

EATING AT KILÓMETRO CERO

A house guest handed me a sack full of walnuts. What a nice gift, just in time for holidays when I always buy a bag of walnuts. In my Spanish market, they are always “California Walnuts.” But these, said Mike, were grown and picked at a friend’s finca in Spain. Kilómetro cero


Walnuts grown in Spain, with a very low carbon footprint.

Kilómetro Cero” is the Spanish manifestation of the locavore movement. The idea is to save the planet through a sustainable culinary experience—food grown and consumed within a 100-kilometer radius. (Although the walnuts came from near Valencia—more than 100 kilómetros from where I live—they were delivered by sailing vessel to a port close to me, thus reducing their carbon footprint.) 

Practitioners aim to support local farmers and small producers, minimize the environmental impact of transportation, emphasize seasonal foods, promote biodiversity and prevent the loss of ecosystems through the preservation of heirloom species, autochthonous livestock breeds, local styles of cheese making. Locally produced food is also likely to be fresher and tastier than that shipped long distances. 

Many of the precepts of Kilómetro Cero have been included in From Farm to Fork, a cornerstone of the European Green Deal, a series of policy initiatives proposed by the European Commission to make Europe climate neutral by 2050. 

From Farm to Fork, presented in May of this year, aims to increase the sustainability of food systems through a strategy to assure affordable and sustainable food, tackle climate change, protect the environment, preserve biodiversity and increase organic farming (including acquaculture). 

Clementines just steps from my kitchen. They are small mandarin oranges, similar to tangerines.


 
Like jewels, ruby-red pomengranate kernels enliven any salad. These fruit are from a friend's garden.

In my kitchen at kilómetro cero, I´m making salad. From a tree just steps from the kitchen, I picked clementines. I opened a pomegranate grown on a nearby friend’s property. I sliced avocados from Málaga plantations (my own tree has only two fruit). Dressed with my own extra virgin olive oil and a smidge of Sherry vinegar (ok, Jerez de la Frontera, provenance of Sherry, is 200 km. from my kitchen), my salad was finished with chopped walnuts, grown in Spain.  

A gorgeous salad for a holiday table, made with local ingredients. 




For the salad dressing, I've got fruity, fresh extra virgin olive oil. I picked the olives myself and took them to the mill.


Chopped walnuts add crunch. Almonds would be good too (I've got almond trees on the edge of my garden.)


Salad with Clementines, Avocados and Walnuts
Ensalada con Clementinas, Agucates y Nueces

Clementines are small mandarin oranges, similar to tangerines. 

I’ve used PX vinegar, made with Pedro Ximenez Sherry. It is slightly sweet, very mellow. Regular Sherry vinegar with a teaspoon of (local) honey is a reasonable substitute. 

Serves 4.

4-5 clementines or other tangerines
2 avocados
Lemon juice
1 pomegranate
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Salad greens
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
2 ½ tablespoons PX vinegar
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon clementine juice

Peel the clementines and slice them crosswise. Discard any seeds. Slice the avocados and sprinkle them with a little lemon juice. Split open the pomegranate and remove seeds, discarding membrane. Place the seeds in a bowl.

Spread salad greens on a platter or on individual salad plates. Arrange slices of clementines and avocados on the greens. Spoon pomegranate seeds over the fruits. Sprinkle with walnuts.

For the dressing, combine in a small bowl the mustard, shallot and vinegar. Stir until mustard is smooth. Whisk in the oil, salt, pepper and juice.

Immediately before serving, spoon the dressing over the salad.



More about the European Union's Farm to Fork initiative:

More colorful salads for fall and winter:

More recipes with walnuts:

7 comments:

  1. How brilliant - I love the fact that the walnuts came by boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MadDog: Thanks. Valencia to La Linea under sail! We have pecan plantations just a few kilometers from where I live.

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious, colorful and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a colourful, tasty, healthy joyful plate of food ! A little but delightfully different one to those which may locally end on my plate. Eating locally and in season is becoming very prevalent here Down Under . . . admittedly this being a large island continent the perception of 'local' may have a rather wide implications. Our ofttimes name used is 'Paddock to Plate' . . . I fully agree and celebrate . . . love your 'kilometre zero' and shall use denoting back . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eha: Down Under, are your seasons reversed? When do you get seasonal citrus fruits? I'm thinking kiwi would be good in this salad too. They are beginning to be grown commercially in Spain.

      Delete
    2. The seasons surely are reversed here . . . we are in late spring and locally (near Sydney for me) we had our first 41 C day yesterday . . . down to a lovely 29 C today ! Citrus grown locally is in season from late autumn . . . about April-May onward . . . as I have said we do not really have off-seasons for most products here but are quite seriously attempting not to use imported products . . .

      Delete